Subscribe To our Mailing List
Fill out my online form.
Exclusive Online Offers for Our New Guests!
Dr. John Palmer Reviews
Dr. John J. Palmer - Palmer Distinctive DentistryRating: 5
Reviewed by: Donna P.
Today was my big day in the dentist's chair. All of you made me feel good about being there; and I could tell that you really knew what you were doing! Thank you all for the easiest day at the dentist that I have ever had. ? (oh, and for giving me back my smile!)
Google Plus Reviews
Amalgam Filling Removal
Dental amalgam has been widely used for more than a century. Called "silver fillings," amalgam fillings contain a variety of metals, all bound together with mercury. Though there has been longstanding support for the use of amalgam fillings, even mainstream dental associations are now changing their stance, providing warnings for the use of amalgam in young children. At Palmer Distinctive Dentistry, we do not care what your age, your systemic health is too precious to risk with the placement of amalgam.
Why avoid amalgam fillings:
- Amalgam does not hold mercury. This substance leaks from fillings continuously, increasing when fillings warm up during mastication.
- Mercury is classified as a neurotoxin. As such, it has been removed from a number of household and consumer products. This poisonous substance, the second-most of all elements on earth does not belong in the human body.
- The World Health Organization recommends mercury exposure of no more than 1.6 micrograms per kilogram of weight per week. A single amalgam filling weighs about 2 grams, or 2 million micrograms. Of this, half of the content is mercury, for 1 million micrograms. This organization states that dental fillings account for the largest amount of mercury in a person's body.
- Studies link mercury exposure to a number of serious health conditions affecting the immune, digestive, urinary, respiratory, and cardiac systems. Exposure to this substance is also linked to deterioration of brain cells.
- Studies also link the amount of mercury detected in a newborn correlates directly with the number of amalgam fillings in the mother's mouth.
Removing mercury for improved healthThere are many dental practices in which mercury is avoided. There are fewer dental practices skilled in the safe removal of this toxic substance. An amalgam filling should not simply be drilled down and removed. The exposure to mercury particles would be far too great with this approach. Hence, many dentists advise their patients to leave mercury fillings in place as long as they are intact.
Dr. John Palmer is a fellow of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. His skill in the safe removal of amalgam fillings is extensive and he trains other dentists in the strict protocols so that they, too, may provide the safest care to their patients.
Amalgam removal takes place with precautions including:
- The placement of a rubber dam to isolate the tooth and keep mercury particles from coming into contact with oral tissues.
- Clean, mercury-free air delivered via a comfortable nasal mask to inhibit the inhalation of mercury particulates.
- High volume suction with mercury filters to minimize mercury release into the air.
- Protective garments for dentist and staff.
- In-office air purifiers to remove mercury particulates from the immediate environment.
Health officials kill proposal to
curb mercury dental fillings
- How to Get Amalgam filling Removed Greenville - Greenville patients ask how to get an amalgam filling removed
- Safe Removal of Amalgam Fillings Greenville - Greenville dentist practices the safe removal of amalgam fillings
- Dental Amalgam Fillings Removal Greenville - Dentist discusses protocol for the safe dental amalgam fillings removal in Greenville
- Remove Amalgam Fillings Greer - Amalgam free fillings and amalgam removal services from your dentist in the Greer area
- Safe Amalgam Fillings Removal Greenville - Safe removal of your amalgam fillings in Greenville
- Mercury Amalgam Removal Greenville - Should you consider mercury amalgam filling removal?
- Mercury Removal Greenville SC - Greenville, SC area dentist discusses the safe removal of mercury fillings
- Mercury Exposure Greenville - Why we take steps to minimize mercury exposure to our patients and staff in our Greenville practice
- Safe Mercury Removal Greenville - The significance of safe mercury removal in our Greenville practice
- Amalgam Filling Removal Greer - Why people near Greer and around the world are interested in amalgam filling removal
- Amalgam Filling Removal Greenville SC - The safest amalgam filling removal includes specific steps in our Greenville, SC office