Five star review from Google Palmer distinctive dentistry was the best experience I've ever had at a dentist. They treat you with respect and everyone is very courteous. Pricing is reasonable and the work I had done was quick and painless. Although the time the doctor spent explaining all the options was priceless.
Subscribe To our Mailing List
Amalgam Filling Removal
Dental amalgam has been widely used for more than a century. Called "silver fillings," amalgam fillings contain a variety of metals, all bound together with mercury. Though there has been longstanding support for the use of amalgam fillings, even mainstream dental associations are now changing their stance, providing warnings for the use of amalgam in young children. At Palmer Distinctive Dentistry, we do not care what your age, your systemic health is too precious to risk with the placement of amalgam.
Why avoid amalgam fillings:
- Amalgam does not hold mercury. This substance leaks from fillings continuously, increasing when fillings warm up during mastication.
- Mercury is classified as a neurotoxin. As such, it has been removed from a number of household and consumer products. This poisonous substance, the second-most of all elements on earth does not belong in the human body.
- The World Health Organization recommends mercury exposure of no more than 1.6 micrograms per kilogram of weight per week. A single amalgam filling weighs about 2 grams, or 2 million micrograms. Of this, half of the content is mercury, for 1 million micrograms. This organization states that dental fillings account for the largest amount of mercury in a person's body.
- Studies link mercury exposure to a number of serious health conditions affecting the immune, digestive, urinary, respiratory, and cardiac systems. Exposure to this substance is also linked to deterioration of brain cells.
- Studies also link the amount of mercury detected in a newborn correlates directly with the number of amalgam fillings in the mother's mouth.
Why should Mercury fillings be removed - Dr. John PalmerMercury fillings constantly emit mercury vapors. You might breathe-in this vapor and you actually retain 20% of what you breathe-in. When you get enough of it, it's going to be stored in certain cells where it can cause damage to Mitochondria or it can hurt nerve endings. Watch the video to learn more on why the Mercury fillings should be removed as Dr. John Palmer explains.
The problem is they constantly emit mercury vapors. When you brush your teeth, when you eat on them or you drink some hot coffee they emit more vapor and it is in your mouth. You might breathe-in this vapor and you actually retain 20% of what you breathe-in while you exhale the rest of it.
What you retain can be methylated in the gut or it can cross into the brain. When you get enough of it, it's going to be stored in certain cells where it can cause damage to Mitochondria or it can hurt nerve endings.
Some people have the right genetics where they can excrete this mercury pretty good and it doesn't cause them any problems. Other people retain more of it and with time it can cause many kinds of chronic diseases. My opinion is it will be a lot better to get them out of your mouth.
Removing mercury for improved healthThere are many dental practices in which mercury is avoided. There are fewer dental practices skilled in the safe removal of this toxic substance. An amalgam filling should not simply be drilled down and removed. The exposure to mercury particles would be far too great with this approach. Hence, many dentists advise their guests to leave mercury fillings in place as long as they are intact.
Dr. John Palmer is a fellow of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. His skill in the safe removal of amalgam fillings is extensive and he trains other dentists in the strict protocols so that they, too, may provide the safest care to their guests.
Amalgam removal takes place with precautions including:
- The placement of a rubber dam to isolate the tooth and keep mercury particles from coming into contact with oral tissues.
- Clean, mercury-free air delivered via a comfortable nasal mask to inhibit the inhalation of mercury particulates.
- High volume suction with mercury filters to minimize mercury release into the air.
- Protective garments for dentist and staff.
- In-office air purifiers to remove mercury particulates from the immediate environment.
How mercury is removed at Palmer Distinctive Dentistry explained by Debra G. Adams, DMDHow should your mercury fillings be removed safely? Does every dentist follow the safety protocols required? Watch this video to learn more about the safe removal of mercury as Dr. Adams explains.
A normal dentist would grind it out, and this will create huge exposure because he hasn’t done anything to protect the patient.
In such a case, it could be more dangerous to get the mercury out than leaving it in. So when it is taken out, it should be done properly.
What are the measures Palmer Distinctive Dentistry take when removing mercury?
We cover the patient completely with protective clothing. We have a barrier that’s in their mouth, and it prevents them from breathing any of the vapors when we remove mercury.
We use high volume suction units during the procedure, and also have filtration systems in the office that run constantly to remove any mercury from the air.
My team and my self, wear biohazard suits and respiratory masks during the procedure. The patient is also breathing oxygen rather than breathing room air.
Palmer Distinctive Dentistry
John J. Palmer, DMD | Debra G. Adams, DMD
At Palmer Distinctive Dentistry, we believe that oral health and overall wellness are linked. This is our focus when attending to our guests’ dental needs. Giving beautiful, healthy smiles to the residents of Greenville, SC is our goal.
Heading our team is Founder Dr. John J. Palmer, a Medical University of South Carolina School of Dentistry graduate. A dedicated holistic dentist and pioneer in advanced dentistry, he incorporates the latest technologies and IAOMT-certified methods and stays abreast of modern developments in biological dentistry.
Dr. Debra G. Adams received her Bachelor of Science from Huntingdon College in Montgomery, AL, and worked as a dental assistant, before graduating from dental school at the University of Alabama, Birmingham. Dr Adams that she is SMART certified through the IAOMT and is dedicated to giving our guests the best treatment possible.