Your local holistic dentist in Greenville, SC follows strict protocols for good reason
One of the most recognizable aspects of holistic dentistry is the avoidance of mercury, or amalgam dental fillings. These fillings, still widely used in conventional dental offices, and promoted by the American Dental Association, have been widely studied for many years. With evidence clear about the dangers of mercury, it is difficult to find logic in its continued use. The office of Palmer Distinctive Dentistry is home to your local holistic dentist who follows strict safety protocol.
In our Greenville, SC practice, our patients benefit from our adherence to the guidelines of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT). These guidelines pertain to the removal of amalgam fillings, decreasing exposure to harmful mercury released during the removal process.
When mercury fillings are not removed correctly, instead, simply drilled away, the patient is put at great risk of exposure. Following this method of removal, patients may find that they feel unwell for days or weeks, due to the effects of mercury absorbed by the body. Some of the practices that we use to improve safety during amalgam filling removal include:
- Placement of a rubber dam keeps small pieces of mercury contained to a localized area, away from oral tissues.
- A specialized suction device removes mercury vapors from the mouth, as well as the air that surrounds the patient and doctor.
- Amalgam fillings are removed in larger pieces, rather than ground down.
- Patient’s skin is covered to limit exposure.
- A constant supply of fresh air is supplied through a comfortable ventilation device.
- The dental team wears rubber gloves through which mercury vapors cannot pass and mercury particles do not cling to.
- Treatment room is equipped with a high-powered air filtration system to remove tiny particles from the air.
- Mercury is safely disposed of.
These and other standards have been designed by dental professionals who understand the dangers of mercury toxins. Dentists associated with the IAOMT are proud to offer their patients and staff safer environments in which amalgam fillings do not pose a high risk to health.
Dr. Palmer is serious in his commitment to patient care. Palmer Distinctive Dentistry has been established to address the body as a whole. A member of the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology, Dr. Palmer uses only biocompatible materials and holistic practices to help patients maintain healthy mouths and bodies.
If you are in the Greenville, SC area and wish to work with a dental team who sees the big picture, we invite you to contact us for your consultation with our caring, committed team. We are happy to answer your questions about amalgam fillings and their mercury dangers, and tend to your dental needs with individualized care.