Why we take steps to minimize mercury exposure to our patients and staff in our Greenville practice
Studies show that the body does not process every form of mercury in the same way, and has varied levels of tolerance for each type. Furthermore, the severity of the health effects suffered with mercury exposure is determined by a number of factors, such as:
- The type of mercury to which one is exposed
- The amount of mercury exposure
- Duration of exposure
- Mode of exposure, such as ingestion, inhalation, or dermal contact
- General health
Amalgam fillings, which have been the primary form of tooth restoration for decades, are comprised of fifty percent mercury. The type of mercury contained in these fillings is elemental, a form that releases toxic vapors, which are constantly inhaled. Although many believe amalgam fillings are safe for use in patients of all ages, science links elemental mercury to a number of unhealthy conditions, with symptoms such as:
- Irritability, nervousness, mood swings, and other emotional changes
- Neuromuscular symptoms like twitching, weakness, and atrophy of muscles
- Decreased cognitive function
These are just a few of the issues that may arise from constant exposure to mercury through dental fillings. Many dentists now restore teeth with composite material to avoid mercury exposure. At Palmer Distinctive Dentistry, we take our methods one-step further, being very careful in the filling removal process. Although some dentists advise leaving a “non-affected” amalgam filling in place (meaning the filling is not cracked or fractured), Dr. Palmer removes amalgam fillings so that patients are not exposed to toxic vapors.
By taking very precise precautions during the filling removal process, we minimize exposure for the patient as well as our staff, so that everyone can enjoy better health. To have your amalgam fillings removed, contact Palmer Distinctive Dentistry today.