Greenville, SC area dentist discusses the safe removal of mercury fillings
First, let’s examine why a patient would want to remove fillings that contain mercury.
It is important to recognize that for many years, amalgam fillings have been referred to as “silver.” This is a misnomer, because while the fillings are silver in color, they are actually a mix of metals known as amalgam. The metals are held together by mercury. Once used in many household items, mercury has been the focus of many studies due to its known toxicity. Furthermore, it has been banned from many products. It is estimated that nearly half of all the mercury in use in the United States is in fillings.
So why is this known poison still being used in dental fillings? Although many scientists, dentists, and even members of congress have raised concerns about the use of amalgam fillings, the FDA has not deemed amalgam as “unsafe enough” to ban.
Today, many dentists recommend patients with amalgam fillings leave them in place. This is due to the concern over exposure during the removal process that can put the patient and staff at risk. At Palmer Distinctive Dentistry, we practice a very strict process for the safe removal of amalgam fillings. By following this highly regimented protocol, we limit exposure to toxic vapors, and ensure the patient has a clean air source to keep them safe.
While it may seem logical to leave a filling in place that has been there for years, it is important to remember that amalgam releases mercury vapors. Consuming warm foods and beverages, or even the act of chewing food can increase the amount of vapors released and then absorbed into the body.
If you have amalgam fillings and you would like to learn more about our steps for safe removal, call us today to set up an appointment.