Patients ask, “What are the benefits of ozone therapy in Greenville, SC?”
Throughout history, the mouth was thought of and treated separately from the rest of the body. In Greenville, SC, Dr. Palmer and Dr. Knause of Palmer Distinctive Dentistry understand the connection between the oral cavity and the rest of the body. What enters the mouth, good or bad, affects the rest of the body. With this knowledge, special care is used when selecting dental materials and procedures. Ozone therapy is one such treatment with versatile uses that positively impact the mouth and body.
What is ozone therapy?
For many people, when they hear the word ozone, they think of the layer that protects us from the sun. While this is true, there are additional uses and properties of ozone. The medical and dental communities have used ozone for years. Ozone is produced by our bodies’ immune systems. The white blood cells make ozone when fighting infections. The process occurs naturally. Used in dental procedures, ozone is safe in low doses. There are no side effects or contraindications.
Ozone is a gas made up of three oxygen atoms. Oxygen passes through a special generator producing ozone. Ozone is negatively charged and is attracted to the positive charge of bad cells. As part of dental treatments, ozone is a powerful antimicrobial. It effectively destroys bacteria.
Ozone therapy benefits
The safety and effectiveness of ozone make it a powerful, beneficial therapy. Additional advantages of ozone therapy include the following:
- Safe – Patient safety is one of the first considerations when choosing materials and procedures. In dental procedures, ozone is used in low concentrations, making it completely safe for patients. Since ozone is already produced naturally in the body, no new substances are introduced.
- Effective – When compared to other treatments and therapies, ozone is the most effective at eliminating bacteria, fungi, and viruses.
- No side effects – Ozone is natural, not foreign. There are no adverse side effects when using dental ozone therapy.
- Faster healing – Ozone triggers your body’s immune response. When used in medical and dental procedures, ozone improves circulation, oxygenation, and the ability to fight infections. This speeds the healing process.
- Multiple uses – Ozone has multiple uses in dental procedures, as it effectively kills bacteria and speeds healing.
As a natural part of your immune system, ozone helps your body heal. Medical and dental professionals have understood and used ozone for its healing abilities for years. When used as a therapy, ozone stimulates circulation and jumpstarts the immune system. Our immune systems produce messengers that communicate with one another. When ozone is introduced in dental procedures, these messengers are triggered, and messages are sent throughout the body promoting, improving, and speeding the healing process.
Uses of ozone in dentistry
Dr. Palmer and Dr. Knause are committed to protecting the health and wellness of their patients. Using ozone in dental procedures adheres to this commitment. Ozone is safe, natural, and effective.
In dentistry, ozone may be used as a gas or liquid. When used as a gas, ozone can permeate areas of the teeth, gums, and mouth that otherwise cannot be reached. Dental ozone may be used for the following reasons:
- Deep cleaning
- Periodontal treatments
- Sterilizing surgical sites
Ozone therapy is an important tool to battle bacteria and infection. This therapy improves circulation and oxygenation, thus increasing the immune system’s natural response. Bacteria are destroyed, and healing is improved. Medication alone may not fully eliminate dangerous substances from the mouth and body. Dental ozone is more effective at treating infections, destroying bacteria, and sterilizing areas of the mouth than other therapies. Ozone is the safest, fastest, most effective method.
Ozone is used as part of periodontal therapy. As it effectively treats infection, it can help stop the spread of damaging substances, improving the health of your mouth.
Ozone therapy triggers the immune system’s natural responses to fight bacteria and infection, and speed healing. At Palmer Distinctive Dentistry, our entire team is committed to safely protecting and maintaining the health of your smile. Contact our Greenville, SC office to schedule your appointment. Call (864) 332-4113.