What is biological periodontal disease treatment? Greenville, SC dentists explain the ozone, laser advantage
Your holistic dentists, Drs John Palmer, Daniel Knause, and Debra Adams, also practice biological dentistry. “Biological therapy” primarily refers to the use of dental ozone and laser devices for the treatment of periodontal disease or gum disease. This type of periodontal disease treatment in Greenville SCuses a light touch to resolve infections and achieve lasting oral health.
Ozone for healthy gums
Ozone occurs naturally as an energized form of oxygen. You may know it as the layer or shield of gas that absorbs most of the Ultraviolet radiation emitted by the sun. But you may not know ozone as a powerful medical treatment. It’s been used as a therapy since the 1800s and has a proven track record as a safe healer.
Traditionally, gum disease has been treated with scaling and root planing – a “deep cleaning” of the teeth and tooth roots. If patients’ gums don’t respond to this approach, surgery is the “go-to” method to treat disease. Since surgery is more invasive, this form of treatment is associated with greater side effects, longer healing times, and a more significant risk of complications.
Drs Palmer, Knause, and Adams strive to treat gum disease with conservative, non-surgical approaches. The application of ozone is a perfect complement with Palmer Distinctive Dentistry’s gentle philosophy toward care because it:
- Has well-recognized antimicrobial properties, making it an ideal disinfectant
- Preserves healthy tissues
- Quickly destroys bacteria responsible for decay and disease,
- Re-establishes an oral environment that is free of dangerous microorganisms
- Did not produce observable adverse effects in clinical studies
- Minimizes the risk of re-infection
Moreover, Palmer Distinctive Dentistry has seen time and again the phenomenal results patients get from ozone as a biological periodontal disease treatment. For some patients, ozone also promotes bone recovery.
Fear-free treatment with technology
Lasers are another versatile, minimally-invasive way to remove harmful bacteria, manipulate unhealthy gum tissue, eliminate infection, and restore a healthy smile. Laser devices present a great alternative for patients who have anxiety over scalpels and needles and anesthesia. The power of this non-surgical gum disease treatment comes from the energy produced by the beam of laser light. As the laser is directed precisely toward the areas to be treated, the energy generates therapeutic heat that can be used to remove and shape tissues.
Dr. Daniel Knause at Palmer Distinctive Dentistry use “all-tissue” laser, Solea. The Solea system offers many benefits over conventional deep cleaning and periodontal surgery for patients with gum disease, including:
- Solea manipulates soft tissues with optimal speed and precision, and minimal bleeding because it’s equipped with a wavelength that nears the peak absorption of hydroxyapatite – the primary mineral found in your tooth enamel.
- A powerful beam is complemented by computer-aided features. Motors controlled by computers move mirrors inside the device’s handpiece. These mirrors adjust the beam thousands of times each second, creating patterns ideal for the type of tissue that is being treated. Your dentist can also tailor scalpel-free cutting from smooth to coarse and fast to very fast, for efficient and accurate treatment.
- Solea features various handpieces and attachments, which are designed specifically for soft tissues and accessing the periodontal pocket between the teeth and gums. These pockets grow larger as gum disease progresses, and harbor disease-producing bacteria.
As holistic dentists, Drs Palmer, Knause, and Adams appreciate there are no services quite as powerful as those that fall under prevention.Plaque is your gumline’s biggest foe. Yes, it’s crucial that you remove this sticky, bacteria-filled film with thorough and
consistent brushing and flossing. But you may need a little help in the form of the Hydro Floss oral irrigator,an easy-to-use alternative to traditional floss that cleans under the gumline (where toothbrushes and floss can’t reach).
Palmer Distinctive Dentistry’s patients also appreciate the use of natural, professional products from the Dental Herb Company.The line includes a tooth and gums rinse, toothpaste, and mouth spray, as well as an under the gums irrigant. Safe products made with natural anti-inflammatory ingredients like echinacea and eucalyptus oil help to control gum inflammation and bleeding and support gingival healing.
You’ve got to know a little about what makes Palmer Distinctive Dentistry’s gum disease treatment different. Now, we want to get to know you and your family. Call (864) 332-4113 to schedule an appointment at the office in Greenville, SC.