Greenville guests ask how to get an amalgam filling removed
When a guest asks about the safe removal of an amalgam filling, we discuss how our practice follows the guidelines from the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. This organization provides dental practices like ours with the information and guidelines necessary to safely remove amalgam fillings containing mercury.
Many guests want their amalgam fillings removed due to the toxicity risks associated with mercury. Amalgam fillings contain up to 50 percent mercury, which is a highly toxic substance. When amalgam fillings are heated, which can occur when biting and chewing, the mercury releases toxins that can then be absorbed by the body. Removal of these fillings must be done in a safe environment to eliminate the risk of exposure to both guests and staff.
Safe removal of amalgam fillings involves the following:
- Isolation of the tooth and removal of the filling in large chunks
- Proper ventilation to reduce mercury content in the air
- Protective gowns and covering for the guests and staff
- Use of non-latex gloves
- External oxygen for the guest so they do not inhale mercury vapors and amalgam particles
- Use of a properly sealed dental dam
Once the amalgam fillings are removed, they can be replaced with a safe, biocompatible alternative. Most guests opt for composite resin, as it blends in very naturally with the remaining tooth structure. Composite resin fillings are just as durable as amalgam, lasting a long time.
If you would like to learn more about your options for safe removal of amalgam, contact us today at (844) 326-4420 to schedule a consultation.