Should you consider mercury amalgam filling removal?
The dangers of mercury
Over the past several decades, there has been a lot of research published showing the dangers of mercury exposure. It has been linked to an increase in disease of the brain, kidneys, and immune system. This mercury exposure is increased when the metal is heated. Amalgam fillings can become heated during many normal daily activities such as brushing the teeth, biting, chewing, and even grinding the teeth.
Palmer Distinctive Dentistry is a holistic dental practice, which means that we only place metal-free, biocompatible materials in the mouth. In addition to our commitment to use only biocompatible materials, we are also specially trained in the removal of mercury amalgam fillings.
Should I have my fillings removed?
In the majority of situations, removal of the amalgam filling is only suggested if it is broken or cracked. However, patients who feel that their health is at risk are welcome to inquire about safe removal.
The removal process we follow at our office is under the guidelines set forth by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. Our team is specially trained to take the proper safety measures necessary to reduce exposure for the patient and the staff. We use protective barriers around the tooth, a special filtration system, proper suction, and more. The dentist will remove the filling in large pieces to limit the amount of vapor and particles released. The staff as well as the patient will wear protective materials. Finally yet importantly, the removed filling is disposed of properly so it does not affect the environment.
If you are concerned about your mercury amalgam fillings, call us today for an evaluation.