Greenville dentist offers tips for successful teeth whitening
Located in Greenville, the dental team at Palmer Distinctive Dentistry offers the KöR Whitening System for professional teeth whitening. This system offers safe, fast results. Teeth whitening is an effective way to transform your smile. Under the guidance of a dentist, guests achieve whiter, brighter smiles in an efficient manner. For guests searching for ways to prolong and make the most of their whitening treatments, we offer a number of tips.
How to maintain a bright smile
If you have decided to brighten your smile, there are key points to keep in mind to protect the health of your mouth while also maintaining your desired level of whiteness.
- Have your teeth professionally cleaned first to remove built up plaque. As plaque and tartar build up on the teeth, a yellow coating or surface stains can appear. A professional deep cleaning with your dental hygienist involves special instruments to remove tartar and clean the hard-to-reach areas. The whitening agent is more easily absorbed by freshly cleaned teeth. This ensures a more effective treatment.
- Choose professional whitening methods. In-office or at-home trays provided by your Palmer Distinctive Dentistry achieve safe, effective results. The high quality whitening agent produces dramatic whitening.
- Avoid foods and drinks that cause staining. Our food and drink choices can discolor our teeth. Coffee, tea, red wine, and tomato sauce are known for causing discoloration. Teeth whitening treatments make your teeth susceptible to new stains. If possible, avoid or minimize use of these stain causing items for a couple days following your whitening treatment.
- Do maintenance treatments. Maintaining your smile takes work. Touch up treatments may be done as needed depending on how much your regular diet and lifestyle habits cause staining.
- Follow good oral health habits. Brushing helps remove stains, bacteria, and buildup from your teeth. Flossing regularly removes food particles and buildup from between the teeth.
- Use a straw. Drink dark liquids through a straw to keep stains off your teeth. Also, finish the contents in a single sitting rather than sipping them throughout the day. The less time a substance sits in your mouth, the better it is for the health and whiteness of your teeth.
- Rinse your teeth. After eating or drinking substances that may stain the teeth, rinse your mouth with water to help maintain your smile.
Why choose professional whitening
Deciding to whiten your teeth is a step toward a healthier smile. Teeth that are white may not always be healthy. Visiting your dentist for a professional cleaning first allows your dental team to assess your teeth for problems. This keeps your mouth healthy and enables the dentist to determine if there are any issues that may interfere with the whitening process. For example, dental restorations may not whiten the same way as a natural tooth. Your dentist can determine the most appropriate treatment for you.
Professional whitening is safe and effective when performed under the guidance of your dental team. Not only are issues caught and addressed, but also the quality of the whitening agent is superior to commercially available products.
Professional, dramatic, long-lasting results
At Palmer Distinctive Dentistry, we use the KöR deep whitening system. This top notch whitening system has no need for lights or lasers but utilizes custom fitting trays. The professional bleaching agent is applied to specially designed trays that seal out saliva to prevent the contamination of the whitening gel. This allows whitening activity to continue for 6-10 hours rather than the typical 25-35 minutes of other treatments. The gel is also kept refrigerated which maintains its longevity and effectiveness. Other whitening products are kept at room temperature. This cause the breakdown of the bleaching agent making it less effective.
Additional benefits of the KöR include the following:
- Dramatic improvement is seen after a single treatment.
- At the end of your treatment, your teeth may be up to 16 shades whiter giving you a significantly enhanced smile.
- Typical discoloration is treated but tetracycline stains are improved as well.
If you live near Greenville and are ready to improve the health and appearance of your smile, contact Palmer Distinctive Dentistry. We offer treatments to protect and maintain the health of your smile. Call us today for an appointment. (864) 332-4113